Choose the Best Granular Weed Killer
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Granular Weed Killers
31 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Having a nice lawn means tending to the weeds. If killing weeds is important to you, then you may appreciate the five products we take a closer look at in this article. Whether you want to treat the problem before it begins, or you prefer to attack the issue when it arises, these products offer several advantages. Inspect their applications in our product comparison chart in the next section.
The first product on our list is a pesticide where the other four are weed killers. For overall coverage, we suggest using the insecticide along with a general-purpose or long-lasting weed killer. Check out each highlight below to find out more about each of our five choices.
Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawns – Best for Killing Outdoor Insects
Ortho Home Defense is a multi-purpose pesticide that rids your yard of pests before they can infiltrate your home and cause more problems.
If you hate spiders, then you may like this product because it will several spider species, centipede, and mole crickets, and numerous pests. You can safely use this product around animals after it dries. The insecticide works for as long as one year.
- Reputable brand with a solid history for creating effective and helpful products
- Works for all outdoor areas
- Covers as much as 10,000 square feet
- May use on flowers and outside decor
- Once a year treatment in the spring or summer is all you need to control spiders, ants, and fleas
- Must use a spreader to treat the lawn effectively
- Works best when spraying down with water after applying
- Only safe for pets after granules dry
Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed 2 – Best for Medium Yards in Sub-Tropical Climates
The Scott’s Turf Builder may be best for thick grass carpets and mossy weeds. You may appreciate that these granules help strengthen your grass to resist weed growth and water evaporation. If you prefer a solution that offers maximum results against the hardiest weeds, then this product could work for your yard.
- Covers at least 5,000 square feet
- Safe for applying to St. Augustine grass
- Fortifies grass against heavy use
- Improves the lawn with each additional treatment
- Apply when the grass is growing
- Boosts root health to prevent dying off during low water conditions
- Will not work on Bermuda grass
- May burn the lawn if applied to the wrong type of grass
- Hardy weeds may take a few applications to eliminate completely
The Anderson’s Pro Turf Barricade Granular Pre-Emergent Weed Control – Best for Seasonal Weed Control
Some people prefer using a product that you can apply in the fall. You may find mad respect for the Anderson’s Pro Turf Barricade when you realize this product gets rid of weeds before they have a chance to invade your yard.
- Typical application is between March and May
- Covers nearly 6,000 square feet of lawn
- Many users say this product works excellent for eliminating crabgrass
- Can apply once or twice a year
- Works for winter and summer weeds
- Popular product for use on golf courses and recreational fields
- Must apply before the soil gets above 55 degrees
- Requires moisture to complete activation
- Two applications necessary for some weeds
A.M. Leonard Snapshot 2.5 TG Granular Pre-Emergent Herbicide – Best for Coverage Size and Scope
If you want a weed killer that eliminates a broad spectrum of weeds, then Snapshot may be the right choice. This product can get rid of over 110 plant pests like dandelions and aggressive weed species. You may like that you can put this product on your flowers and shrubs without worrying about it hurting them.
- Eliminates over 100 weeds
- Works for stopping weeds from growing
- Prevents weeds for at least six months
- Safe around Christmas trees and poinsettias
- May apply to fruit trees
- Acceptable for using on nut trees
- Must work into the soil without irrigation or a soaking rain
- Not for turf grass – works best in gardens and flowerbeds
- May require more than one application
Lilly Miller Noxall Ready to Use Granular Vegetation and Weed Killer – Best Long-term Product
If you have natural driveways and paths, then having an effective and long-lasting plant killer may be important. The Noxall vegetation stripper gets rid of all life in the kill zone. There are no weeds or grasses that will grow up and cause issues when using this product.
- Strong formula
- One application lasts an entire year
- Great product coverage
- Kills existing greenery
- Effectively stops weed growth
- Works for brush
- Will kill flowers and plants
- Excellent for gravel and sidewalks
- May cause problems if the granules wash away during a heavy rainfall
Buyer’s Guide Top Five Granular Weed Killers
How do you know which weed killer product is best for your garden or yard? You may want a combination of products to get year-round results. Perhaps you are the one who wants to get outside the first time the weather is nice and treat the yard. Maybe a weed killer to use on existing weeds is most important to you. Below are some general questions and answers about weed killers.
How often do I need to reapply the product
Each of these items requires different application times and circumstances. It is imperative that you read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Following them exactly as the maker suggests is our biggest recommendation.
Can I let my animals in the yard right after I put down the weed killer
No. To properly apply the chemical and activate it, most of these products require water. To prevent any harm to your animals, it is important that these granules sink into the soil, gravel, or grass and dry out again.
Do this product kill zoysia
Yes. Most of these weed killers cover this pesky growth. You can effectively control this weed by applying a weed preventing chemical like The Anderson’s Pro Turf Barricade. Then, you do not have to kill the weed after it grows because it never breaks the soil.
How to apply a granular weed killer?
Such a herbicide requires watering two days after treatment, and its effect will be visible only after 1-2 weeks. Liquid herbicide works faster, but its application requires a garden sprayer, special rubber gloves, and when used, it is necessary to protect useful plants on the lawn. I recommend applying a granular weed killer from mid-May to early August.
I would recommend buying a selective granular herbicide. But keep in mind that they won’t affect all types of weeds. Many experts recommend the use of herbicides along with nitrogen-containing fertilizer because such a product increases the weed killer’s efficiency. With this treatment, the fertilizer must be applied a week earlier than the powder herbicide. You may mix the liquid herbicide with liquid fertilizer and use them together, but if the fertilizer is granular and the herbicide is liquid, apply it only a week after the fertilizer.
Video Tutorial: How to Apply Granular Herbicides Properly
Our last take on granular weed killers
This list offers a diverse product range because your yard has different needs. You may need a vegetation killer to keep weeds out of your gravel driveway. You might also find a yearly herbicide important for keeping dandelions and crabgrass out of your yard. Using an outdoor pesticide is also important for minimizing ant problems and issues with centipedes and spiders. Therefore, you may want to purchase a few of these products for your shed or garage.
Are granular weed killers effective? One of the readers of Grass-Killer.com asked me this question. I firmly say “yes” because liquid herbicides are good but their granular analogs provide a more selective effect.
Many farmers and gardeners have proved the effectiveness of granular weed killers, especially for large territories. Efficacy of granular or powder herbicides depends on:
- Compliance with the dosages recommended by the manufacturer;
- The suitable air temperature (16-22 degrees) and the irrigated soil;
- The moisture soil layer;
- Growth activity of weeds – the higher they are, the better they are affected by a chemical herbicide;
- Phases of weed development – young plants die faster;
What granular weed killers you may buy?
- Ortho is good for 3-month protection. It is a very cost-effective 10 lb. bag for 10,000 sq. ft.;
- Scotts is a good weed killer that may feed the grass and kill the unwanted vegetation. But do not apply it on Bermuda grass;
- The Andersons product is good for killing over 30 weed types in early spring;
- Snapshot 2.5 covers up to 1,000 sq. ft. and may save your lawn from the weeds up to 6-8 months. Apply before the rainfall or irrigation;
- Lilly Miller may cover up to 1,000 sq. ft. up to one year of weed control;
If you don’t know how to apply a granular herbicide, check the video with detailed instructions. I am also interested in your methods of using granular weed killers, so please share in the comments below this review.