Choose the Best Weed Killer For Zoysia Grass
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Weed Killers For Zoysia Grass
762 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
This guide is a bit different compared to other reviews on this website. Typically, there are recommended different weed killers for destroying a certain type of seasonal/annual weeds. This time you will learn how to protect the specific lawn grass called Zoysia with the help of certain herbicides.
Zoysia is an Asian grass that’s been in America for over 100 years. It’s a warm-season grass with impressive cold tolerance, which makes it a particularly popular choice in America’s grass transition zone. Zoysia is tolerant lawn grass, but it takes some care if you want to maximize its potential.
Below you will find a few cost-effective and efficient weed killers that can kill nasty weeds that appear on the lawn where Zoysia grass grows. These top 5 products will assist as universal remedies for clean grassy lawns as well. The comparison table is quite useful for new customers. The buying guide can also help.
Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns– the best for fast weed control!
Ortho Weed B Gon is specifically built for northern and southern lawns – you’ll see results in hours.
This product can be ideal for spot therapies. Its Comfort Wand offers detailed control-only spray what you want-and is reusable when refilled.
- Acts quickly;
- Can cope with over 250 different weed types;
- The visible results in a few hours;
- Can kill the roots of most weeds;
- Won’t harm the healthy grassy lawn;
- Becomes rainproof in 1 hour
- Never use on Floratam (St. Augustine grass);
- Use only as directed;
The organization promises that your lawn will not be harmed if you obey the guidance on the package. This also requires being vigilant not to apply it when temperature levels are over 85F. This substance comes in small 1-gallon jars and can be used for the care of up to 64,000 sq. ft. of grass.
Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed 2– the best for fertilizing!
Bonus S is built to destroy weeds like clover. It also feeds your lawn for good, deep roots that can survive heat and drought. This is the latest and improved edition of the Scotts Turf Bonus S recipe. The revised version is designed to monitor more forms of weeds. It is healthy for southern grasses such as Carpetgrass, St. Augustine and Zoysia.
- Was specifically designed for Southern lawns;
- Works also as a fertilizer;
- The product is covered by Scotts No-Quibble warranty;
- The durable effect
- Available for sale only in a few states;
- Good only for killing some weeds
But it’s not just the weed remover, the nutrient components of this solution allow the grass to grow easily. The potassium content helps to reinforce grassroots in the soil. The guidelines are very easy to obey, and if they are followed correctly, positive outcomes will certainly be seen.
PBI Gordon Ornamec Over The Top Grass Herbicide– the best for versatile use!
This is one of the few items safe for use in nurseries. It destroys over 500 species of plants, including trees, grasses, soil cover and shrubs.
- Capable of killing over 500 different weed species;
- Safe for kids and pets;
- Can be used on the lawns with seedlings;
- Selective application
- PRequires an extra sprayer for the use;
- PCan kill healthy grass if used improperly
This substance destroys a wide variety of plants, so you need to read the label closely to make sure it doesn’t destroy anything you want to hold. If you’re unsure, you can try it on a few other plants to make sure it doesn’t affect them.
Southern Ag Atrazine St. Augustine Grass Weed Killer– the best for cost-effectiveness!
What’s more, it works so quickly that you’ll start getting results after just a few hours when the marijuana begins to glow.
- Easy to apply;
- Total control over any weeds that come from seeds;
- Can cope with emerged weeds;
- Very concentrate and cost-effective;
- Acts quickly
- Toxic and dangerous for pets or kids;
- Needs a few applications;
- Not fully rainproof
A perfect alternative for weed management because of its effectiveness in managing weeds that have arisen as well as weeds from plants. Many of the consumers will also note how inexpensive it is. This product seems strong, but at a fair price, this is a safer choice for preserving our lawns.
DPD SpeedZone Red Herbicide– the best for the coverage area!
Evidence of damage can be shown within hours of treatment, and plants can die within 7 to 14 days.
- Large coverage area;
- Cost-effective and quick-acting;
- The first results in a few hours;
- Rainproof in 3-4 hours
- Not for sale in some American states;
- Only for the spot treatment
SpeedZone Broadleaf Turf Herbicide is a selective post-emergent weed killer with the excellent cool season. This herbicide agent manages a wide range of the hardest broadleaf weeds in the warm and cold season of turfgrass.
The Buyer’s Guide
Types of weed killers for protecting Zoysia grass:
- Pre-emergent products. These products prevent the germination of weed seeds. When properly introduced, they are responsible for managing annual weeds — those that emerge from seed every year and then get dry at the end of the growing season. Pre-emergents do not destroy any current weeds. Pre-emergent products get a fixed efficacy duration, such that it might be appropriate to apply pre-emergent herbicides multiple times during the season to keep the area free of weeds;
- Post-emergent products. These remedies can destroy the weeds that are existing (once they have arisen from the seed). They prove most successful for hard-to-kill weeds such as crabgrass when used when the weed is small and delicate. Mature weeds can need several treatments, which may also stress lawns or other plants in the field. For weedy lawns, the safest approach is to mix pre-emergent and post-emergent products for maximum assault. Pre-emergent prevents germination that has not yet happened whilst the post-emergent herbicide kills established weeds. Again, there could be many applications;
Safety of use
While chemical herbicides are engineered to destroy plants, you do need to be vigilant when using them around humans and animals. Having them on the skin or in the eyes can cause discomfort. And consumption might lead to disease since the chemicals are poisonous.
It is also recommended that pets and young children be kept away from the area while you spray. Enable them to return to the lawn only after some time prescribed by the suppliers of the commodity.
Natural products are available to anyone who needs to take the additional step of avoiding exposure to something toxic. Yet they are just not as effective as the better chemical remedies, and they cost more.
Both liquid and granular goods are available. A Zoysia-protecting weed killer can include herbicides to destroy weeds like lions or crabgrass. It should have the requisite formula with minerals, nutrients, vitamins to let the grass grow thick and stable.
Nitrogen is going to keep the grass safe. Phosphorous is going to make the grassroots powerful. And potassium is going to make the grass immune. A lawn fertilizer needs to be two in one. It’s going to have a weed killer for the dollar-weed, or chickweed, and also fertilizer for grass growth.
What weeds the product can kill?
You need to know which herbicide kills the weeds to the roots when selecting your Southern lawn weed and feed. The substance must destroy the weed even after it has grown like chickweed, dollar-grass, dandelions, various broadleaf weeds, white clover.
It’s going to avoid their re-growing. You’re going to get rid of the weeds for a long time. When you’re buying the right weed and feed for Southern lawns, look for a mixture that includes manure, weed killer and even an insecticide. Your lawn will be insect-free for nearly six months.
The coverage area
You’ll find different types of Southern State Rainbow Fertilizer bags that can span up to 15,000 sq. ft. You will have the weed killer and fertilizer that can protect fields from 5000 sq. ft. to 15.000 sq. ft. If your lawn is in Florida or Texas, it’s going to be fine for you. The sum found in the various bags would be from 9 pounds to around 36 pounds.
Tips for keeping Zoysia grass healthy:
- Do not mow too often because the dense soil above the roots protects Zoysia grass from the invasion of new weeds;
- If you use a grass mower, do not mow too short because this may thin the topsoil layer out;
- Zoysia loves the sun and in shaded areas, it may thin out as well. Overseed the grass if you notice thin patches in the shadowed areas;
- Do not forget to mix a weed killer with a fertilizer. But remember that too much can burn the grass. Try to fertilize at least 4-8 times per 1 year;
The best weed killers for Zoysia grass: the results of personal recs
- Ortho is a one-gallon remedy that is very concentrated. It results in hours, not days;
- Scotts’ bottle will spread over 5,000 sq. ft. It can be used in spring when Zoysia grass starts to grow;
- Gordon’s solution is capable of controlling perennial grasses like Zoysia. The concentrate solution is very effective;
- Southern Ag offers one gallon of the powerful weed killer for killing broadleaf weeds. It contains 4% atrazine;
- Gordon is another one-gallon for fast weed control. The visual results occur in hours;
In addition to my recommendations, I’ve uploaded the video tutorial explaining how to use a weed killer for Zoysia grass. If you have recommendations about how to destroy these weeds, please, write below. Please, follow Grass-Killer.Com to get the notifications about new updates and reviews.
Video Tutorial: Weed Killer for Zoysia Grass
Holding the Zoysia grass dense is the most effective step in avoiding weeds. Make sure that your lawn care regimen is appropriate for this particular form of turf. If you have a marijuana epidemic, figure out just what you’re dealing with, and then pick the best remedy to kill these plants, according to this guide.
Zoysia grass is one of the major summer annual weeds. A few effective remedies that I picked can control such weeds every summer.
I would recommend pre-emergent herbicides in the early spring if you need to control the weeds like Zoysia grass. One of my colleagues uses such herbicides mid-February (in the coastal area). Though, if you like in mountain areas, mid-March is the perfect time to apply such a weed killer. The second application must be done in 10 weeks after the first one. In such a way, you can control the annual growth of Zoysia grass and other summer weeds in your area.
Two methods of removing Zoysia grass:
- Chemical treatment with herbicides. If the area is heavily clogged with weeds, selective herbicides can be used – this is more efficient and less dangerous. The product is applied at places where the weeds accumulate in dry weather. The concentration recommended by the manufacturers must be strictly observed – too low a dose will not harm the weeds, too high a dose will damage the lawn;
- Manual weed control is considered to be more efficient, but in some cases is not applied due to the laborious nature of the work. Zoysia grass is removed from the damp ground – a few hours after the rain. Weed control on lawns is done with the help of special hoes and root removers;