Choose the Best Broadleaf Weed Killer
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Broadleaf Weed Killers
19 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
An Excellent All-Round Model: Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
The formula contains 41-percent glyphosate and is designed to cover up to 25,000 square feet. This is surely enough to cover the average to large sized property. In addition, the formula is completely rainproof within the space of 2 to 4 days. Overall, this is a great intro model for the beginning property owner.
- Rainproof in 2 hours
- Results seen in 2 to 4 days
- Contains 41-percent glyphosate
- Covers over 25,000 square feet
- Creates up to 85 gallons of ready to use spray
- Results appear a bit slower than some other models
- Exact amount of formula created may vary according to packaging
- Needs to be kept far away from children, animals, and other plants when not in use
- Not quite strong enough to prevent future growth
The Pet Safe Choice: Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer
As noted above, the Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer contains a large amount of acetic acid. This means that it does not discriminate as to what plants it kills once it touches their surface. If you have house plants or garden vegetables, it’s a good idea to shield them with cardboard in order to keep them safe.
- Contains 20 percent acetic acid
- Results should appear within 24 hours
- Kills crabgrass, dandelions, clover weeds, white clover, moss, and other weeds
- Safe for use in any location
- Can easily kill other plants so be sure to handle with care
- Needs to be kept away from children and animals
- Limited warranty is nontransferable past the original buyer
- Shrub or perennials need to be shielded with cardboard
Weed Death in a Bottle: Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer
Due to its relatively low concentration, the formula is less effective on larger properties. However, because of this, it is somewhat milder in its effects if it is accidentally sprayed on other plants. It should still be considered a strong weed killer that should be kept at a safe distance from children and animals.
- Extremely economical use rate of 1 to 4 pints per acre
- Formula is very strong within a confined area
- Controls a wide variety of broadleaf weeds and woody plants
- Priced very competitively
- Decently priced for the amount you get but not the best solution for larger properties
- Formula is strong enough for small properties but not formulated for larger area
- Formula can kill existing weeds but won’t prevent future growth
- Needs to be kept well away from children, animals, and other plants
First Class Lawn Control: Monterey LG5518 Turflon Ester Specialty Herbicide Concentrate Broadleaf Weed Killer for Lawns
It should be noted that this is a post-emergent formula. This means that this spray is useful primarily for killing actively growing weeds. This means that only newly emerged weeds that are present at the time of spraying will be killed. You will need to use the formula again to kill freshly emerging weeds in the future.
- Extremely powerful formula kills a wide variety of pests
- Excellent results on cool season turf
- Contains 61.6 percent active ingredients
- Covers up to 20, 000 square feet of property
- Designed to kill current, not future, weeds
- Needs to be kept away from children, animals, and other plants
- Somewhat pricier than other formulas on this list
- Limited warranty only covers use by the original owner
Affordable and Effective: Compare-N-Save 2-4-D Amine Broadleaf Weed Killer
The formula is especially recommended for use in small grains pastures and range lands. It can also be very useful for controlling aquatic weeds when used in the context of injection and tank mixes. Its highly concentrated formula works well in both agricultural and home lawn and garden settings.
- Priced very affordably
- Good for use in farm and pasture lands
- Works well on aquatic weeds
- Also useful in lawns, ornamental turf, drainage ditch banks, and fence rows
- Not recommended for use during drought conditions
- Useful to kill currently growing weeds but will need to be reapplied to kill future growth
- Requires 10 to 20 days to reveal its full effect
- Limited warranty is not transferable past the original owner
When you buy a broadleaf weed killer, there are a number of important details that need to be kept in mind. For one, you need to choose a formula that is concentrated specifically to fit the needs of your property. A small lawn or garden will require less formula than a larger property or agricultural area.
Another thing to keep in mind is exactly what kind of weeds you need to kill. If you are just looking to kill off broadleaf or woody pests, all of the formulas on this list will do the job. If you need a more specialized formula to kill aquatic weeds, a few – but not all – of the formulas on this list will suffice.
The climate of the area that you live in will affect the results that you get from your chosen formula. Certain formulas on this list are good for use in states that are prone to periodic drought while others are more useful in states with adequate rainfall.
The stronger the formula you choose, the more closely it will need to be guarded against access by children and pets. This is an issue that you will need to keep in mind at all times if you have small children in your home.
Another key issue is rainproofing. All of the formulas on this list carry a guarantee of rainproofing within a certain period of time. However, some will work to bring this result about in a much shorter time than others. For most purposes, a rainproofing guarantee of 24 hours will be adequate for your needs.
There is also the issue of results appearing within a specified amount of time. You want to be sure that you see visible results in 2 to 4 days. Some of the budget models on this list may require an average of a week to 2 weeks to begin showing results. This is a length of time that will be acceptable or not depending on your needs.
You will also want to know if the formula you are using kills future as well as merely current growth. Some of the formulas on this list are useful in killing the present generation of growth that is visible to your eyes. However, only a few are certified to be capable of preventing the future growth of weeds.
Video Tutorial: Winter Broadleaf Weed Control
All of the models on this list have been vetted for quality. They represent some of the best new broadleaf weed killer formulas currently available on the market. Keep in mind that weed killer formulas are in a constant state of evolution and consequent improvement. It’s a good idea to check this space for frequent updates.