5 Best Weed Killers for Lawn Reviews
1. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer – Best Long-Term Value
The issue is that the concentrated version seeks out the root system, rather than just killing the plant on the surface. You can still see results in a few days.
With a year’s supply, you can quickly take care of all the weeds trying to ruin your lawn. However, you should be careful to use it in a spot sprayer, as it will kill everything that it touches, including your grass.
2. Roundup 5725070 Extended Control Grass Killer – Best Overall Weed Killer
Roundup also provides a weed-killing guarantee, so if you do have issues with the quality, you can return it.
While the weed killer works well, the sprayer is a little difficult to control and makes it harder to get a spot spray the first few times. You’ll have to pump the sprayer to load up the solution and then spray it directly on the spot where you want to kill the weed. If you spray any of the areas around the weed, you will also kill the grass.
You can see that it starts working right away, but it may take 2 to 3 days to see the weed fully disappear. Customers reported that you can also spray areas that are weed-prone to get rid of future weeds as well.
3. RM43 Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer – Most Potent Weed Killer
You want to make sure that you only use this on your toughest weed spots, as it may cause problems for your lawn if you spray too much.
This is truly a professional-grade quality weed killer. While it may not work right away, you should see results the same day, and after a few weeks, you shouldn’t see any more weeds growing in the same areas that you sprayed.
This solution does kill everything you spray, including shrubs, brush, vines, weeds, and other pesky plants that you don’t want to see popping up around your manicured lawns. If you have a larger area, you can use this solution with a hose attachment to kill any annoying vegetation growing on your property. We liked how quickly this weed killer worked and that weeds didn’t come back even after 60 days.
4. Roundup Extended Control Weed and Grass Killer – Great Weed Killer & Prevention Formula
This formula works well to kill weeds at the root. You can spray this weed killer around a number of areas that are weed-prone, such as sidewalks, driveways, fences, foundation, curbs, and retaining walls to prevent any weeds for months. It starts working within a few hours, and you can see results the very same day.
As far as long-term prevention, Roundup’s concentrated formula has a potency that kills off plants quickly, preventing new weed growth right in the same exact spot that you sprayed. If you are looking for an accurate killer, this is the spot formula to use. So far, there have been no new, pesky weeds after 60 days. Customers report that this weed killer does prevent weeds from coming back even after four months as well.
5. Southern AG 2 Amine Weed Killer – Best Value Weed Killer
This is best used to control broadleaf types of weeds, goathead stickers, clove plants, and other pesky weeds around wooded areas.
One thing we did notice is that it takes awhile to see results. It takes about 10 to 14 days to kill the weeds, but after that, you won’t see any more weeds for over 60 days. If you have a lot of acreage, this weed killer works extremely well to load up in a sprayer for bulk weed-killing action. Customers reported that this weed killer works extremely well for prevention and doesn’t cost as much as many other weed killers on the market.
Buyer’s Guide – Weed Killers
There are two ways that weed killers can get rid of weeds that are ruining your lawn:
- Contact Weed Killers: These are concentrated formulas that kill any plant on the spot. These show results within hours, so it almost instantly kills the weed. Although these work pretty fast, they typically destroy the plant above the soil but aren’t able to kill the roots. However, these are extremely potent and results-based formulas to use with weeds that spread through seeds. You can kill off these seeds by spraying down the area. This means that weeds like crab grass, types of nettle, plant mallow, and types of bindweed are annihilated by most contact products.
- Systemic Weed Killers: These formulas work because they can be spread into the root system and destroy the plant at the base. This means that weeds won’t grow and come back after a few days or weeks. They will likely be permanently gone, or at least gone for multiple months. These work the best for perennial types of weed plants, and they work extremely well for pesky weeds that won’t go away with other killer formulas.
Other Features to Look for in Weed Killers
- Kills weeds fast
- Rainproof in 1 to 2 hours
- Visible results in one week
- Prevents weeds from returning for 4 months
- Large size for extended long-term use
If you are looking for a strong weed killer, then Roundup is likely the best formula to use, especially if you want to see the weeds gone quickly. However, long-term prevention is better with the extended control formula.