Choose the Best Centipede Killer
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Centipede Killers
39 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Do you have a problem with insects and centipedes crawling all over your lawn or house foundation? Then you may need a few professional treatments to get rid of these insects.First, you should identify the pest, find the places of its habitat – in such a way, the picked product could provide more results that are effective.
The following guide can help you choose the best centipede killer. Check the major features, pros and cons of top 5 premium products. The comparison table can be rather useful. As well as the buying guide below the reviews.
Ortho 0220910 Home Defense Insect Killer – the best for long-lasting effect!
When your home has been protected with the Invisishield barrier system it can build a defensive border to keep bugs away for 1 year. It may not destroy one centipede at once (depends on its size), but it sure would scare it away.
- Can cope even with large roaches, ants, spiders inside and outside the house
- The long-lasting bug barrier up to 12 months
- Only a single application
- Reusable wand
- Includes a dangerous pesticide – protect your pets and kids
- Requires more than one application when treated outside
This pesticide is popular for coping with all forms of big insects. It builds a protective barrier and with its killing power, prevents them from coming to your home.
BASF Cy-Kick CS Pest Control Insecticide – the best for the broad spectrum of species!
Pyrethroids are classified among insecticide groups for their reduced toxicity.
The Cy-Kick CS density is close to that of water, resulting in a smooth, stable blend that needs minimal agitation to stay in complete suspension. Cy-Kick CS produces a dense layer of microcapsules when sprayed and is difficult for insects to reach without exposure to a deadly dose of insecticide.
- Can cope with the broad spectrum of large species
- Won’t cause skin irritation
- Won’t cope with scorpions – though, the manufacturer claims it can kill them
- Not very concentrated
Cy-kick CS is nearly odorless. When applied according to the prescribed label limit, this insecticide will not produce a noticeable residue or stain.
Ortho Home Defense MAX Insect Killer Granules – the best for large coverage!
Spreading this around the base outside created a big improvement that has endured so far for more than 30 days.
- Covers up to 2,000 sq.ft
- Can kill and scare away insects for many months
- Good for rural areas and lawn treatment
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
- Granules are harder to use than liquid products
- Requires the regular application every 2 months
- Works only when spread near the house foundation
First, spray the product inside, then go outside and spray all over the house’s exterior. It minimizes the amount of bugs that come into the building. The bottle’s shaker lid can be flimsy, but typically it works just fine.
45 Insect & Spider Traps – the best for non-chemical treatment!
When they stick in it, the insects would not note the gap between the trap and the environment. The most efficient way to allow the use of building as many obstacles as practicable.
Few businesses offer limited numbers of big traps but building a large number of small traps, as this one is more efficient and economical. Larger traps are not more effective since it’s the side of a trap that always captures a spider.
- The all-natural treatment
- You can hide it in plain sight
- 45 traps for the instant kill of spiders and centipedes
- Won’t do for large coverage
- Won’t protect from bugs for months
- Good only when the glue inside is fresh
In no way such traps are dangerous. They just produce adhesive, so capturing relies on the strategic skill to position it in areas frequented by centipedes. These traps may often be positioned next to food storages and in other places where the application of pesticides is highly hazardous.
Ortho 0196410 Home Defense MAX Insect Killer Spray – the best for the price!
It is good for about 30 days when spread on the cement. It fits home, driveway, cellar, and deck.
- User-friendly application
- Budget-friendly and cost-effective
- Can cope with giant species
- Good for indoor and perimeter use
- Works quickly
- Better than the granule-based analog
- Not very concentrated
- The bottle may leak easily
This product is totally safe to humans, livestock and birds. This spray can only destroy larvae, bugs, rats, roaches and more.
The Buyer’s Guide
Types of insecticides:
- Sprays. These pesticides can be spread inside or outside with a hand spray and are residual insecticides. Sprinkled around cracks and crevices, access points, and baseboards, these materials prevent the operation of centipedes. These items can be spread along the circumference of the system as a 3- to 10-foot line, through the harbor sites and/or across possible entry points. Such products can give you the long-term residual for about 90 days for all surface forms. Liquid technologies can be implemented around baseboards through cracks and crevices and into other possible hiding areas;
- Aerosols. You may apply a sprayed aerosol around doors, windows and walls, as well as other areas where these pests can reach premises. This aerosol includes a crack and crevice tip that can be spread through the really narrow cracks and crevices; where the solvent spray doesn’t reach;
- Dusts. Pick residual dust only as an extra measure. Dust attic areas and the baseboards underneath can be treated with such products. Consider picking the dust products with a hand duster appliance;
- Traps. If you want to use a chemical-free centipede treatment, then consider picking the special traps. They can be even good for keeping insects alive, even the largest species;
Check the label before buying a centipede killer. It may contain the chemicals that can’t be disposed to direct sunlight or they can be potentially harmful to little children or pets. Safety comes first when you spray chemical treatments on your lawn or inside the house. Alternatively, you may use a DIY centipede killer made of natural components. Or try using special centipede traps.
The affected species
This is highly essential to check for when utilizing poisonous chemicals because certain pesticides could damage crops, pets or little kids. Try to stop having wide range pesticides that along with the insect have the ability to destroy or damage multiple beneficial plants. If such a pesticide is the only alternative, consider using spot treatments to reduce the probability that non-target species may be infected.
For pesticides, determining efficacy is a little complicated since it may differ based on when the chemicals are being added. For e.g., in a laboratory, a chemical can destroy a significant percentage of the target species because it is a regulated area, but in a real-life scenario, the amount might be much lower because of other considerations such as fighting off natural enemies, temperature variations, etc.
Endurance of action
The resistance of an insect or plant to the effects of a pesticide may differ. Check for the pest control success: if it seems to function well at first but then later populations expand through continuous usage, any built-up resistance might be present.
The selection of a pesticide can be decided based on circumstances. If it is an emergency, a shorter-lived, quick-acting, and more intensely toxic substance (such as cockroach organophosphate) might be needed. But for persistent pest issues, enduring, slow-acting, and less harmful substances (such as boric acid) may be safer.
To find the best centipede killer for outside or inside use, you need to consider a few important factors – its volume, content and price. Also, try to find out more about the species of bugs and centipedes that bother you. In such a way, you may get the most appropriate pesticide for your insect problem.
Do you have a problem with centipedes on your lawn or backyard? I had hundreds of these nasty bugs but eventually managed to control them. To get rid of them for good, I’ve used a special herbicide type manufactured specifically for killing these bugs. Below you will find my recommendations for the buyers of centipede killers.
Keep in mind that centipedes live mainly in the northern regions, in the regions with a humid climate and wet summer seasons. They poorly tolerate the exposure to sunlight. Also, centipedes are highly sensitive to heat. These bugs are active in the early morning hours before the dew disappears or in the early evening.
What centipede killer to choose in a store?
Buy a spray or powder product. Opt for the products that contain bendiocarb, Sevin, cyfluthrin, or propoxur. Make sure to read the recommendations for use and cautions before using a centipede killer.
Expert advice: if the product contains pyrethroids, spray it directly on the centipedes and do not use such a repellent on other weeds.
How to apply a centipede killer on your lawn?
1) Apply the herbicide all over your backyard. Spray or sprinkle the centipede killer, according to the attached directions for use. Centipedes will crawl out to the surface after the application of the picked herbicide.
2) Be sure to wear rubber gloves when you apply any centipede killer because it can cause skin irritation. Follow the directions on the label. If you use a powder product and live in a humid climate, it should be applied more often than a liquid herbicide.
3) If you know where centipedes are hiding outside the house, you can apply an insecticide to the soil. For example, spray an insecticide on mulch-covered flowerbeds. The substances contained in the product will eventually hit the centipedes and poison them.
My tips for buying the best centipede killers in the U.S. market:
- Ortho can create a bug carrier in your backyard. This one-gallon centipede killer controls up their growth up to 12 months;
- Cy-Kick is a pet-safe centipede killer. It contains very effective Cyfluthrin 6.0%;
- Ortho offers a 2.5-pound for the centipede control over 3 months. One bottle can be applied at the territory of 2,000 feet;
- Traps Direct includes 45 traps that fully blend into the environment. It is affordable and effective;
- Ortho 0196410 is my favorite remedy that can control the centipedes up to 12 months;
I also recommend you check the video tutorial that shows how to take care after the lawn inhabited by centipedes. What methods do you use to control centipedes? Subscribe and follow to read new expert recommendations to take care of the lawn.
Video Tutorial: Centipede Lawn Care Tips