Choose the Best Crabgrass Killer
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Crabgrass Killers
11 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Are you dealing with pesky crabgrass on your property? This is one of the most persistent and annoying weeds to deal with. It’s especially prevalent on otherwise well manicured home lawns. Whether you are a home owner or property developer, one thing is certain: You need a way to eliminate this pest, once and for all.
So, without further ado, here are our choices for the 5 best crabgrass killers.
Time to Round Up the Weeds: Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus Value Size
Definitely do not use this formula around garden plants or house plants. It is ideal for use in area such as patios, walkways, driveways, and mulch beds. You can also use it to kill crabgrass around your property fences, edging, and the foundation of your home. It’s a handy item for keeping your outdoors area in presentable shape.
- Excellent value for your money
- Fully rainproof in the space of 30 minutes
- Fast Act Technology formula yields visible results within 24 hours
- Not recommended for use around edibles or house plants
- Needs to be mixed exactly in order to work effectively
- Ideal for larger, rather than smaller, areas
Time to Go Green: Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer
It can be used on crabgrass, dandelions, white clover, moss, and others.
The Green Gobbler formula contains zero cancer causing chemicals. It is free of glyphosate. The 20 percent formula has been tested to be four times stronger than traditional table vinegar. The formula is made from ethanol distilled from corn grain. As a result, it is one of the safest commonly available mixes on the current market.
- 20 percent formula is far stronger than vinegar
- Completely glyphosate free
- Kills a wide variety of weeds
- Formula needs to be mixed very carefully to avoid harmful contact
- May be a bit on the pricy side for some budgets
- Needs to be kept away from garden and house plants
More Than Just a Deadly Face: Roundup 5705010 Extended Control Weed and Grass Killer
It is rainproof in 30 minutes. Results should be visible in a period of 24 hours.
There are no serious drawbacks arising from the use of this product. However, it should be noted that this is not a product that should be used by an amateur. The extra strength formula is non-discriminatory when it comes to plants. This is a formula that should be kept well away from children, animals, or desired plants.
- Rainproof in 30 minutes
- Results are visible in 24 hours
- Extra strength formula is an excellent killer of all types of weeds
- Nondiscriminatory formula makes it a hazard if not used properly
- Weed prevention timing only lasts for 4 months
- Full warranty is only applicable to the original owner
This gives it the advantage over several of the other models on this list, although this isn’t its only good feature.
The formula is designed to be effective during all seasons of the year. If applied during fall, it will be especially useful. It can be employed to deal with weeds such as poa annua, henbit, and chickweed, as well as crabgrass. Its wide range makes it a good choice for use in outdoor areas such as patios, paved areas, and front lawns.
- Extremely wide range of up to 5,000 square feet
- Kills multiple species of weeds
- Designed to be winterproofed against snow, slush, and ice
- Useful in all seasons but seems to be best formulated for the winter period
- Unable to discriminate between friendly plants and pests
- Needs to be applied more often than some of the other formulas on this list in order to yield the best results
This will be the case if the formula is used at the full application rate.
The formula is specially designed to be fully rainproof in less than an hour. It can be used to destroy persistent weeds such as crabgrass, bindweed, clover, dandelions, dollarweed, foxtail, kikuyugrass, signal grass, Speedwell torpedograss, and many more. It is one of the most effective and wide ranging weed killers on this present list.
- Priced very affordably
- Kills a very wide range of common weeds
- Contains a half gallon of formula
- Formula is very strong and needs to be mixed correctly to ensure safety
- Needs to be kept well away from children and animals
- Not designed to discriminate between weeds and friendly plants
Crabgrass is a very persistent pest that can take root and spread very quickly. For new growth, an average strength formula may be sufficient. However, when it comes to wiping out deep and long term growth, you may need to break out the big guns. Due caution is always advised when dealing with weed growth of any type or size.
Be Sure to Choose a Formula That is Non-Toxic to Humans
The formulas on this list have been chosen due to their liquid based, non-toxic nature. They contain no harmful additives, preservatives, or fillers such as glyphosate. The idea here has been to choose formulas that are free of chemicals that have been linked to the spread of cancer in animals as well as human beings.
This should be one of the chief factors for you to consider when choosing a crabgrass killer. You should also choose a formula that is as gentle as possible on other plants, especially garden vegetables and house plants. The formulas on this list have been selected for that reason, although most can be still be lethal if uncontrolled.
Choose the Formula That Works Best for Your Area
Another important factor to keep in mind is that you will need to choose the crabgrass killing formula that works best for your specific area. If you are the owner of a large property, you will need a formula that is more plentiful as well as more highly concentrated. This is because you will need to secure a much larger amount of space.
On the other hand, a less strongly concentrated formula will work better in the context of a smaller property. This is especially true if you have friendly plants, such as garden vegetables or outside house plants, that you want to remain unaffected by the application of a crab grass killer. Proportion means everything in this case.
Be Sure to Choose a Formula That is Well Reviewed
All of the formulas on this list have been verified as to quality. They have also been well reviewed on leading sites such as Amazon and others. This is a very important factor for you to keep in mind when choosing a crabgrass killing formula. You want to be sure that the one you choose is being sold by a maker that is well documented.
There are plenty of fly by night operations who would love nothing better than to sell subpar weed killing formulas to unsuspecting consumers. It’s up to you, with a bit of help from the experts, to choose a formula that is safe, cost effective, and easy to use.
Video Tutorial: Killing Crabgrass, Nutsedge and Other Weeds With Round up for Lawns
All of the formulas that have been featured on this list have been tested to ensure quality of the highest standard. Keep in mind that conditions concerning these crabgrass killing formulas are subject to change. Feel free to contact us for more info concerning these and future formulas that will be featured at this location.
- Green Gobbler Official Website
- Scotts Official Website
- How to Get Rid of Crabgrass [Article]
- Digitaria [Wikipedia]